Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Credit Line Increase!

So, I hold two credit cards: one from Old Navy and one from Citi. The Citi card is the one I use the most, for gas and whatnot. The Old Navy Card I rarely use anymore, mostly because I'm never in that area. Today, I checked my account to make sure my online account payment had gone through, when I saw the button that said "Request A Credit Line Increase." I thought, "Hmm... maybe I will." It is a commonly circulated fact that if your credit line increases, your credit score goes up. However, that is only contingent on how much of the credit line you use. The lower your debt to credit line ratio is, the higher your credit score will be. Well, my credit card has never had more than oh, let's say $125 on it at any given time. When my original credit line was $500, that would have been 25%. When it increased to $800, it would have gone to 16%.

Long story short, I asked for - and was granted an increase - to $1100!

Yay!

I have read that your ration should be no higher than around 35%. But I am going to keep it as low low low as possible.

What about you? Have you ever asked for a credit line increase?

No comments: