Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Get Your Read On: My Personal "Best Of" Personal Finance Books for twentysomethings




I am an avid reader. I love to read anything and everything - when I was a kid my mother could punish me by denying a weekly trip to the library. Oh so devastating!

My reading genre changes all the time from romance to biography to essay - but I love a good money self help book from time to time to keep me focused. Here I list my favorites - some I have read more than once!:

You're So Money, by Farnoosh Torabi

Love love love this book. Torabi broke everything down in that late - twenties hipster type way that in the end makes you feel that saving and investing aren't that far beyond you on your two - cent paycheck. A must read for those who plan on moving to a big city but will be on an entry level budget.

The Money Book For The Young, Fabulous, and Broke, by Suze Orman

I use this book as more of a reference. Suze always gives a straight answer on what steps you need to take to achieve financial wellness. Each book comes with an interactive code, which allows you to access message boards, budget forms, all all things financial to help learn more about personal finance.

Save Karyn, by Karyn Bosnak

I read this book a few summers ago, and was taken in to the real life story of this young woman. The true story of Bosnak moving to New York and ending up on over $25 000 in debt turned triumphant when she created the website savekaryn.com, along with selling her wares to pay down her debt.

The Broke Diaries, by Angela Nissel

Angela Nissel tells us the highlights of her broke college years with humor and wit. Nissel chronicles her senior year of college by her ins and outs with holding on to a dollar. She tells of her many tricks and schemes, which can now be looked back on with a good laugh. From pretending to be a student teacher for the free books to cajoling the electric man to not shutting her power off, this is a fun and fast read.

Next on my list:

Make Money, Not Excuses - Jean Chatzky
Generation Debt - Carmen Wong Ulrich
The Savvy Girl's Guide To Money - Emily Chantiri

What finance books have you read?

No comments: