Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Another cheap gift idea...

So Sunday night, while avoiding studying and finishing up final papers, my mind wandered to what I should give to my relatives that I don't see at Christmastime - you know, aunts, uncles, cousins - the extended fam. My mind drifted to my wallet, which is lucky to at least have my ID in it, and I came up with a great idea: personalized Christmas CD's.

I have always been one to create my own holiday CD every year. I turn it into a production, starting way back in the first of November gathering up what songs I want to use from old cd's past, watching ebay for one cent cd's and compiling my playlist. I always make a copy for myself, or course, my mother, and close friends who request it, but I decided to share this gift with my extended family as well.

So I bought a case of CD covers, used burned CD's that I had on hand, and bought six of those envelopes with the bubble wrap. I made the CD, tucked it inside the case along with a special message, and addressed and sealed it. The next day I went to the post office, where shipping only cost me about $1.50 per envelope. Total cost? Around $20 total. When divided among the six? About $3.33 spent on each of them.

Merry Christmas to me!

So if you have a talent that you are keeping under wraps, share it with the world and turn it into your Christmas gift! Crochet! Bake! Paint! It'll be the gift that keeps on giving, and you'll feel better for having not broken the bank.

1 comment:

Adrian Garcia said...

That's actually really good advice! I'd do it if I wasn't so lazy. :)