Monday, February 16, 2009

What do we have to show for it?

So - random story - Today I saw a picture of TLC on this site and had a flashback to their bio on "Behind the Music." Their first manager took money from them because of bogus contracts they signed. I remember Chilli saying in their "Behind The Music" that "We had done all of this work and hand nothing to show for it."

That quote has always been embedded in the back of my mind and it never had huge resonance with me... until today.

While walking to class, I decided that I would work a few extra hours today in order to have a little more pocket change next week. As I was pondering this, I saw a girl who was dressed cutely for class. She wasn't overly done or looked as if she was trying too hard, she just looked...cute. I didn't know anything about her, but I thought, no matter what she's doing, at least she has something to show for it. That's when it hit me: I've been employed since I was 15. I've worked and worked and worked and I've spent my money on...what? I don't dress particularly well, I don't own a nice car, I don't save like I should...

What do I have to show for all of this work I've done?

If I make money and I do nothing but toss it at frivolous things, what's the point? I feel like I have cheated myself, in a way. I mean, I really have nothing of real worth in my life. I know people who have been able to buy cars, wear designer clothing, have new phones and computer they financed themselves because they were smart enough to want to show off their hard work. Now really, I'm not materialistic, but I feel like I have missed the boat.

Has it all been in vain?

No comments: