Monday, April 20, 2009

How much have you been whipping out the plastic lately?

I'll admit for me, it's been quite a bit in the last month.

Generally, I only use my card to cover gas, which runs me around $40 a fill up, but lately I have had to use my card for what I consider "inevitable debt".

For instance, about two weeks ago at the Graduation Celebration, I plunked down about $400 for invitations and a cap and gown. Last week, I spent $200 on car repairs. And I still had to get gas. It hasn't been pretty, but I have not had the cash to cover these expenses. This worries me because I don't want to have any debt when I move to DC in June (yep, stilll going!)

According to CNN.com, more college students are using their credit cards as a means of survival. The average freshman has $940 dollars in debt, and only 15% of college students have a zero balance on their credit cards. While there are several people in the hole, this does not make me feel better, or even comforted by my situation. I don't ever want to end up near that amount, although it seems that I am on my way :-( Friday I declared that I wasn't going to use my credit card until it was completely paid off - but that was before I drove home and ended up on an empty tank. Generally I am able to pay off $300 a month, but it is clear that I am going to have to work extra hours or sell my books early to accomplish this goal.

Here's to the (quickly approaching) future...

No comments: