Thursday, April 2, 2009

Life After College Option 5: Pull An Erin




So, I've given you guys some pretty good ideas to mull around as graduation is (literally!) around the corner! But now, yours truly is here to give you the rundown on what I have been doing and what I have been doing/ plan to do:

How I would like for everything to go: I want to graduate from UA and have a paid internship waiting for me in DC. I want to complete the internship, which would be either in PR/marketing or government, all the while looking for jobs after my internship is over. I want to get a job as a Staff Assistant or some related position in the House of Representatives or the Senate and work there for a couple of years. I plan to start my graduate degree either online or at a DC area school in Fall 2010.



What I've been doing to get there: I have applied for every paid (and some unpaid) internship under the globe and have been doing phone interviews and email correspondences all semester. I've used every resource available, including Craigslist, the going on individual websites, and even scouring DC magazines just to find out the names of random PR groups to see if they are hiring. I have contacted every person I know who has a DC connection to see if there is anything open, as well. I have done and redone my resume, cover letter, and have distributed it everywhere the sun touches down in the District.

I decided not to apply for grad school right now just because I'm not feeling it. I know that if I were to go to school in the fall I would hate it and wouldn't be able to reach my full potential. I feel burnt out, anyway.

I thought about a few more places to apply for internships but shot them down for the following reasons:
- Atlanta: too crowded and I would need a new car (my old one is two oil changes away from the grave.)
- New York: way too expensive and I wouldn't want to live there.
- Los Angeles: I would want to live just like Lauren Conrad, but that is impossible.
- Memphis: not enough opportunities in what I want to do.
- Nashville: I don't know enough about the city except that it's pretty.

I know that in theory I could live at home, but it would only be a matter of time before the arrangement would go sour. I do plan on spending a few weeks there though before I move on.

I already have a place to live in DC for the month of June, so if my plan falls through and I have no place to intern with at all, I am going to go out there for the month and do as many informational and job interviews that I can. If it's no dice, then I am going to take the GRE and apply for grad school for Winter 2010.

I've been doing a lot of reading ( No More Ramen, Gradspot.com, What Color is Your Parachute ) and praying. I just hope something comes through soon - I'm booking a plane ticket on May 1.


I've been saving money like crazy and will have enough to cover my first month's rent and a decent amount of spending money saved by May. I hope to collect enough in graduation money that I can save some and spend some this summer. I've been thinking about investing in a mutual fund, but I digress.

So, in a nutshell, I am wanting to go to DC after I graduate. How about you?

No comments: