Monday, November 10, 2008

Stop, Thief!

So I had totally planned to post on my secret obsession , but something bigger happened today that I must mention.

I lost my debit card.

And practically my identity.

So this is what happened:

Toward the end of my morning power walk (brisk weather, yes!) I walked to Publix and purchased a few groceries. I didn't have my purse, so I kept my card in the front pouch of my jacket. Somewhere between University Blvd. and my dorm, my card leapt from my jacket and into the street. I didn't realize this until I returned home, and, in a panic, went searching the streets, but to no avail.

So what happened?

The first thing I did was report my card lost and had it deactivated, wherever it may be. I then went and checked my account for any fraudulent purchases in the 10 minutes I lost it and have been checking it all day. (No activity, yes!) I had to have a check cashed in the Supe Store (FYI: They will cash a personal check - up to $25) and used the money to buy provisions at Wal Mart. And then I moped a little.

So what have we learned, class?

In order to prevent ID theft, keep your cards close and secure, and make sure they are not susceptible to "popping out." If you lose your card and know it can't be found, cancel it immediately and report any suspicious activity to your bank or card company. Most importantly, don't freak out. It's better to cancel and regroup then run around Publix like a chicken with its head cut off.

By the way, it's a $5 fee to have it replaced, which I decided to decline for now. I want to go into my bank and select a special design, so until then, I will be check cashing.

Have you ever been in a situation where you have lost your identification? Were you quick on your feet, or scared and meek? Let me know and post a comment!

No comments: